Thursday, March 8, 2007

BREAKING NEWS: Chatman steps down immediately, won't coach in tourney


After she shocked everyone and said she would leave LSU at the end of the NCAA Tournament, Chatman has now said she will step aside immediately. Long time LSU assistant coach Bob Starkey will lead LSU in the tournament.

“My resignation yesterday has prompted speculation and rumors that far exceeded my expectations and it is clear that my presence would be a great distraction during the NCAA Tournament,” said Chatman. “I believe it is in the best interests of the team that I step away from my coaching duties immediately. I want the players and staff to have the best chance to maximize the opportunities we’ve earned. I have every confidence in the young ladies and the remaining coaches that they will have success in the NCAA Tournament.”

The decision comes after speculation has run rampant about her surprising resignation. Everything from rumors of going to Florida to the WNBA to questions about her sexuality and impropriety with players or anger with the LSU administration over money. It seems Chatman is doing the best thing to keep from being a distraction to the team in the NCAA's, however, in my opinion she should just give the reason why she is leaving and all the rumors would come to an end and no longer prove a distraction. This move only adds more suspicion to an all ready strange and bizarre turn of events for one of the top 5 women's program in the nation.

More to come...

No comments: